PRAGUE - IN 2 DAYS / 10 MUST SEES

having only two days to visit a place is just always not enough but it is great to get a first impression. so those are my top 10 things to do in only 48 hours in prague.

somehow i feel like prague is underrated when it comes to travel destinations. i don't hear many people talking about prague as a must visit city - which is great and sad at the same time, because it makes prague an insider tip and a city that has to be on everybodys bucket list.

lucky enough most of the sights are so close to each other that you can easily walk around and get lost in the streets. and since the vltava - the river that runs through prague - kind of seperates the city in the middle you can do the eastern part on one day and the western part the next day.

#1 creperie u kajetana

a really nice place to get breakfast - from the outside you don''t think there is much to it because you don't see how far it goes in the back, but that is what is so great about it. almost no tourists and a very artsy and calm atmosphere - just the way i like it. they have quiet the selection on the menu as well.

#2 viewpoint at the prague castle

the castle itself is already breathtaking but wait until you reach the viewpoint. it overlooks the city center of prague and you get to see almost every sight there is. you might consider getting there quiet early because it gets crowded very fast and that is just not fun.

#3 the black tower

the black tower is one of the oldest buildings in prague and was mainly used as a prison back in the days. funny enough the tower is not black at all but the tower got its name from a fire back in 1541. the walls remained black for a long time before it became the way it is today.

#4 st. vitus cathedral

walking up to the prague castle you will most likely walk by the st. vitus cathedral - a great first stop to take a small break before you continue to discover the whole complex of the prague castle. the cathedral actually took almost 600 years to be finished which makes the architecture even more interesting since it is influenced by so many centuries. i only got a glimpse of the inside since there was a mass going on but that was already pretty amazing.

#5 boattour

as i already mentionned in some previous posts i am not a huge fan of typical touristy attractions. so it almost never happens that i will go on a guided tour. but this time it was a very spontaneous decision which i don't regret at all. after having walked the whole day my feet hurted really badly, i was exhausted and the sun was setting soon. somehow i saw the sign of this boattour, payed for it, walked to the boat and set down. it was so nice to be away from all the hustle in the streets. besides the really amazing view i got some interesting facts about some of the sights and about prague itself. the tour went on for like 50 minutes and it was the perfect way to end the day. so if you have like 10€ and some spare time then just hop on one of the boattours - there are a few but i guess they are all very similar to each other so it doesn't really matter which one to take.

#6 charles bridge

this bridge is the main bridge that connects the western with the eastern part of the city. therefore it is insanely crowded and you should pay even more attention to your belongings - pickpockets! you will see some artists and hear some musicians - and if you are like me then stop for a second and enjoy the moment watching them draw or listen to the music.

#7 sunset

watching the sunset should be on everyones list - no matter where you go. but i feel like it is harder to see a good one in the city. the best spot in prague is on the eastern part of the town in between the dancing house and the charles bridge alongside the pier. from there you have a stunning view of the cathedral and the castle and the sun sets right behind it.

# 8 astronomical clock

unfortunately my camera died on me while i was trying to take a picture of it, which makes me really upset. but then i know i have to come back again to get a shot and i am not mad about going back again to prague. this clock is not just any normal clock. besides being the world's oldest still operating astronomical clock it is a very impressive masterpiece. every hour you get to see it in action and it is worth waiting for that.

#9 the powder gate

the powder gate is one of the originial 13 citygates and seperates the old town fromt the new town. while at the beginning it was an attractive entrance into the town it later on became a defensive tower where gunpowder was stored - that is where the gate got its name from.

#10 trdelnik

a must-try when you come to prague. don't worry you won't miss it because so many people walk around eating that delicious and traditional treat. trdelnik is a pastry that is basically just a dough that is wrapped around a metal stick, then grilled and topped with sugar or anything you like.

Allison Smith (Friday, 30 September 2016 00:42)

I've never been to Prague but now you've got m thinking. You've picked some great options here. I love a good sunset and would love to see it from the dancing houses.

Melissa | Parenthood and Passports (Friday, 30 September 2016 05:28)

Prague is one of my favorite cities on the planet! I love it, love it, love it! Just seeing a picture of the chimney-shaped dough thing brings back yummy, wonderfully smelling memories. I think I ate at least one a day, maybe two. :O

Arnav Mathur (Friday, 30 September 2016 12:13)

Never been to Prague but your article is surely gonna make me pack my bags and head to Prague .

Caitlin (Friday, 30 September 2016 14:44)

I'm so looking forward to getting to Europe in a few months. I can't wait to see lots of castles and old buildings, and learning all about the history of the different cities. I'll no doubt make it to Prague one day, so I'll definitely have to come back and check out your post again for some tips. :-D

Stace (Friday, 30 September 2016 14:47)

Wow! Im in love! Prague has definitely been on my list for a while, this seems like a perfect itinerary for 2 days

Naomi (Friday, 30 September 2016 20:24)

I'd love to visit Prague. It is so close but I still haven't been there. I think it is the ultimate mix between old world charm and new world foodie adventure and leasuresome weekend trip! I really need to go soon! Thanks for the post, it gave me more wanderlust for Prague

Cliodhna (Friday, 30 September 2016 23:52)

Great post! I spent 2 days in Prague too but ended up on crutches on the first night so didn't get to do half of these things! I think I'll have to wait a while before I go back as I just associate it with it's hospital at the moment!! That being said it was very efficient!

Kathy (Saturday, 01 October 2016 00:10)

I really enjoyed Pargue. I spent a lot of time in the big park there where they had a piano that people could play. The castle really is a nice view point but I also remember being there in crowds. You have some great options here for Pargue :-)

Christina from Happy to Wander (Saturday, 01 October 2016 03:34)

Love Prague! You sure packed a lot into two days, wow :) Trdelnik is awesome. Have you seen that they serve ice cream out of them now?? Insane. I gotta go back haha.

Leslie @ The Real Uganda (Saturday, 01 October 2016 12:23)

I guess Prague isn't the travel hotspot it once was. I wonder if that's because of the expansion of the EU? I remember hearing "Ljubljana is the new Prague" 25 years ago! I'm happy to see you don't agree and have highlighted this amazing city for a new generation. Your photos are sure to inspire.

Soraya (Saturday, 01 October 2016 14:21)

These are all fantastic things to do if you just have 48 hours in Prague. I have never been yet, but I am hoping to get there next year. Fingers crossed! I love the photos you have shared - it makes me really want to get to Prague.

Clare (Saturday, 01 October 2016 16:07)

I have been to Prague and it's not my favourite city in Europe, maybe because it is so touristy. It is beautiful though and there are lots to see. I would love to do the boat tour next time :-)

Maggie (Saturday, 01 October 2016 16:56)

Looks like a great way to spend a weekend. Trdelnik looks like something my 4 year old would really enjoy! Your pictures are gorgeous, the architecture there is just stunning.

Nicole Janeway (Saturday, 01 October 2016)

Your conversational style of writing is excellent and from the introduction onwards I was hooked. The idea of breaking up the city into two days, one for the east half and one for the west is a really good one, but I wish you'd made it a little more clear in the post which attractions are on each side. Otherwise, I really enjoyed. Prague seems awesome!

Sarah (Saturday, 01 October 2016 18:40)

This is a lot to cram into 2 days, so kudos on you if you did it all. I love the photos. I have fond memories of the bridge, and the palace too, but it was a long time ago I went and it has become a distant memory now. That's the trouble with travel, I suppose; always somewhere else to go.

Diana - MVMT Blog (Sunday, 02 October 2016 05:56)

Beautiful photos! I am always amazed by the cathedrals in Europe. There is so much intricate detailing on the cathedrals, and I can only imagine how complex it was to design and construct the building and how much thought the architects and builders put into it. 10 Euro is not bad at all for the boat tour - I would definitely do it.

Maja | Mexatia (Sunday, 02 October 2016 10:49)

Prague is very popular destination for Croatians, especially younger ones, but until recently there was no direct connection with that beautiful city - can you believe it?! FInally we have a direct flight from Zagreb, but the price is not so budget friendly. We hope to visit soon, maybe by car, who knows :) Thanks for the inspiration!