Turkish Market - Food in Berlin

i would consider myself a foodie - a foodaholic - a foodaddict - whatever you want to call it. i just love food - especially when it comes to getting grocery and cooking. there is nothing better than the smell of amazing and fresh food.

but food is getting more and more expensive. which makes it hard to eat healthy and diverse. that's why i like to go to turkish markets. and there are quite a few in berlin. but the most famous one is the turkish market at maybachufer and i call it the food paradise on earth. they have literally everything there (opening hours see below).

i normally get all my veggies and fruit over there: zucchini, tomatoes, avocados, salad, mangos, melon, bananas and all kinds of berries - depending on the season. and i rarely pay more than 10€ for everything. also my favorite spices such as curry and herbs are only around 1€ a bag.

you can also buy streetfood over there - that are mostly typical turkish plates. i really urge you to go to the foodtruck that sells kumpir. it's in the middle of the whole market and you will get a box of it for like 3€. if you don't know what kumpir is: it is kind of like a backed potato (sometimes it is more mashed potatoes) with a bunch of other things to add. it is just so delicious.

maybachufer, 10967 berlin

open tuesday and friday from 11am to 6.30pm

Urvi (Thursday, 18 August 2016 20:18)

Beautiful pictures. I have noticed hummus in your pics, which is my favorite. It seems like fresh farmers market. I bet quality will be great. I also like the color options in threads and ribbons

Anne (Thursday, 18 August 2016 21:08)

I love going to these kinds of places, they've got the best food ever!! Lovely pics to show the atmosphere :)

Maddy (Thursday, 18 August 2016 21:24)

A really interesting post. Even though I've just eaten my dinner you've made me hungry again! Definitely need to explore these markets!!

Jessica (Friday, 19 August 2016 00:11)

I am also a foodie, and it is one of my favorite parts about traveling! All of your food photos are making my mouth water lol One of the things that frustrates me in the US, is that it's hard to come by healthy food and foods that haven't been altered. It's so nice to go places where the food is so FRESH! Also I would love to go to Turkey, it's always been on my list. Anywho, thanks for the recos! Would love to see more posts on Turkey.

Erica (Friday, 19 August 2016 00:47)

I love exploring markets like these! I'd be one of those people looking at the colorful zippers for 20 minutes even though I had no immediate use for them. Your pictures of the canal remind me a lot of the Little Venice area in London, which of course doesn't look anything like Venice but is quite nice nonetheless :) I'll add getting a kumpir and eating it in the grass by the water to my Berlin bucketlist.

Nina (Friday, 19 August 2016 01:26)

Kumpir sounds very similar to Krompir and or Krumpir, which means potato in some slavic languages like slovenian, croatian, etc.. . I guess either you overheard the r in the word or its turkish word for potato.

Chirstina (Friday, 19 August 2016 03:27)

Amazing! I hadn't heard of this Turkish market in Germany before. I love going to Farmer's markets and getting fresh produce. Bonus that this place also sells ready-made food.

Joanna (Friday, 19 August 2016 10:58)

I love the ethnic local markets, where you can try out different types of food. I am a foodie myself and I have been to Turkish restaurants before but never to a Turkish market. There is none in my small town. I like Turkish food and that potato look very yummy. My favorite Turkish food has to be the baklava, I love the sweet syrup and the pistachio flavours.

christine leger (Friday, 19 August 2016 12:54)

That's one thing that we missed when we visited Berlin; the Turkish market. We would drive 2 hours once per month to Ottawa so we could shop at a few Turkish grocers back home, and we haven't really found that many here in our new town.

Adrenaline Romance (Friday, 19 August 2016 13:56)

We love visiting wet markets like these whenever we go to a place. Wet markets are so full of life, color, and culture. That bowl of veggies looks really mouthwatering!

Kelly Turpin (Saturday, 20 August 2016 16:36)

Lovely photos and all the food looks delightful.

Dirk (Saturday, 17 September 2016 17:25)

For foodies I recommand www.thegermanfoodtour.de

Punita (Friday, 23 September 2016 19:13)

Turkish food is my absolute favorite. The variety and flavour are absolutely overwhelming, aren't they? I can would survive on hummus and tabbouleh and mezze happily when in Turkey. Yes, food would be one of the high points of my my visit to Turkey.

Kathy (Friday, 23 September 2016 19:22)

I was in Turkey earlier on in the year and I loved the food there. I am also a vegi so this post is great for me. Thank you for all the information :-)

Maggie (Friday, 23 September 2016 23:59)

I love visiting local markets when I travel. And a Turkish one sounds amazing! I could eat hummus every day.

Erica (Saturday, 24 September 2016 05:12)

Oh man, I am a sucker for markets! This one looks incredible! I totally agree that healthy food is getting harder and harder to find for a decent price. Especially in America! One day when I visit Berlin I will most definitely visit this Turkish Market!

Christina from Happy to Wander (Saturday, 24 September 2016 09:36)

Yess I love Turkish food!! I agree that Turkish markets are an awesome place to shop for groceries, not just in terms of price but quality and variety too. I used to go to a few Turkish stores in Munich because everything (especially spices and meat) was scooores cheaper than elsewhere. This market in Berlin looks really awesome though and bonus points for having fresh street food. So good!

Allison Smith (Saturday, 24 September 2016 10:03)

I;m hearing you girl! I love food and it is one of the most planned out aspects of my travel. This Turkish market looks amazing! I would never have thought it would exist in Berlin.

Rirhandzu Marivate (Saturday, 24 September 2016 12:21)

I love the colours of the market, they invite you in! I was already salivating from the watermelon. Sound like and amazing place.

Diana - MVMT Blog (Sunday, 25 September 2016 16:32)

I had no idea there is a Turkish market in Berlin! Berlin is one of my favorite cities, so I'm sure I'll be back soon and will have to check out this market. Great photos - you're making me very hungry!

Cliodhna (Sunday, 25 September 2016 22:41)

I love markets! The food looks amazing. I love the sound of the baked potato dish. I'll hopefully be going to Berlin soon so I'll definitely try make it here!

Maja | Mexatia (Monday, 26 September 2016 17:24)

Turkish market was one of my favorite places while I lived in Berlin! So colorful, friendly and affordable. Too bad it was quite far from my apartment so I couldn't do regular shopping there.

Natasha Welch (Thursday, 10 November 2016 21:08)

Ah wow these markets look awesome, I'll be sure to have a visit if I visit Berlin soon. And the Kumpir dish looks delicious. Btw your photos are excellent, amazing work :)

Gabriel Waid (Wednesday, 01 February 2017)

Hi there, I log on to your blogs daily. Your humoristic style is witty, keep doing what you're doing!

Elly Galicia (Friday, 03 February 2017 01:02)

Thank you for any other excellent article. Where else may just anybody get that kind of information in such a perfect approach of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I'm at the search for such information.