Open-Air Cinema - Popcorn under the starry sky

i love going to the cinema and watch a great movie. but during summer it is just a shame to stay inside if the weather is great. lucky for me that there are quite a few open air cinemas in berlin. and i want to share with you my top 3.

Cassiopeia

this place is my favorit place to be when it comes to open air cinemas. it is much smaller than many of the others and this makes it more cozy. but also hard to get in. normally i get there like an hour before the movie starts and since they have a great bar and some amazing fingerfood it doesn't really bother me. they also provide blankets if you get cold - which i always get. they show all kind of movies in different languages so check their website for more details.

Freiluftkino Friedrichshain

they say that this one is one of the biggest one. with over 1.000 seats that might be even true. they do have some benches and chairs but feel free to bring your blanket as well if you prefer sitting on the gras. for non-german speaker it might be a bit more difficult since most of the movies are in german. so check out their program to see which ones are in english or other languages.

source snapthecat

Freiluftkino Kreuzberg

right in the back of kunstquartier bethanien you will find the freiluftkino kreuzberg from may to september. it is the oldest open air cinema in berlin (1994) and also one of the most famous one. it shows movies from all across the world in many different languages every day and only for 7€.

if you plan on going the next couple of weeks then check out their schedule

source iheartberlin

Suzannah (Wednesday, 31 August 2016 09:57)

Are the German language movies given subtitles or not really? I love open air cinemas, I just went to one in Florida and had such an amazing night.

blondemoments (Wednesday, 31 August 2016 10:09)

Sometimes there are, yes! But it depends on the cinema and the movie of course :)

Sydney Fashion Hunter (Tuesday, 06 September 2016 23:23)

Love this! We have two open air cinemas in Sydney that run during the summer as well. They get really popular though and you have to book in advance. As summer is coming around again soon(ish) I'll definitely be going again!

Christina Guan (Wednesday, 07 September 2016 09:55)

I love going to Open Air Cinemas here in Vancouver! Usually though, we just sit on the grass or bring lawn chairs if we're feeling fancy haha, so it's nowhere as sophisticated as Berlin. Those seating arrangements look awesome!

Anne (Wednesday, 07 September 2016 10:05)

Open air cinema's are the best! I went to a big one in a botanical garden in Australia, it's just totally magical :) !

Soraya (Wednesday, 07 September 2016 15:07)

I loved this! I have never been to an open air cinema, but would love to one day. These look like great options in Berlin and a unique thing to do when visiting.

Miranda (Wednesday, 07 September 2016 15:40)

What a great idea for a blog post! I love the idea of outdoor cinemas but never think about going to them. I don't live in Germany but this makes me want to find a local outdoor cinema near me! :)

Danielle (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 13:25)

I'm not surprised Berlin is so great for open-air cinemas. It's such an artsy city!

John Rodgers (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 14:27)

Wow, I have not seen anything like this in years. Somewhat like the drive-in theaters we had when I was very young. I can't think of a better way to spend an evening under the stars than watching a good movie outdoors and eating popcorn with butter. This would be a thing on my list for sure.

bianca (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 14:31)

OMG an open air cinema! i badly wanna go to those kind of events. i think its romntic to watch movies in an open air with your partner

Noemi of PinayFlyingHigh (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 14:46)

Oh my goodness that is so cool! I have been to only one open air cinema and it was in Netherlands but then at some point, it started raining so we all had to go home. Lol. I would love to do it again specially if it's like the first one where there's a bar. :p

Amanda Williams (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 15:06)

I love Open Air Cinema and have been a few times in the UK, but never overseas. I like the sound of Cassiopeia best. I guess I would worry about not being able to understand the film in German, but still a great way to spend an evening chilling under the stars.

Natalie (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 15:24)

What an interesting idea! Here in south Texas an open air movie would just have you fighting off mosquitoes if the heat didn't melt you! I'm guessing that the weather is more suited to it in Berlin. I love the idea of getting people out and mixing together. I'll have to try one with subtitles the next time I'm in Germany! What a cool activity.

Susan (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 15:25)

I love open air cinemas! I especially love that the three you featured have seating and bars and restaurants. All of the open air movies I've been to have been a picnic blanket and bring your own food place, but these look like they'd be even more enjoyable!

Christina (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 15:57)

My husband and I are planning on visiting Berlin next year so this is timely. It looks like we might have to brush up on our German language skills before going though. I imagine it would be a great place to meet people. Is going to an open-air cinema something that Berliners like to do regularly?

Ozzy (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 18:31)

Open air cinemas are so lovely, especially in summer, but have to understand the language though. Movies have to be with subtitles so everyone can watch entertainingly.

Rashmi and Chalukya (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 18:48)

We have never a chance to watch movies in open air cinemas but it does sound like fun. Watching your favorite movies under the starry sky must be an awesome experience. Is the summer heat comfortably good to sit on for hours to watch movies?

Zoe Naylor (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 19:10)

I've never been to an open air cinema, it's a bit too cold now in England but maybe next summer I will look for one near me! :) these ones in Berlin look so awesome - what a great way to spend an evening :) I love the idea of having food and a bar there too!!

Brenda from Traveleira (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 19:50)

I have never been on an Open air cinema. Close to my house there used to be one I never went (shame on me!) Definitely I'm keeping this close! I hope I can visit one when I get to Berlin.

nicki (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 21:03)

Super jealous that you have not only one but three options! Back hoe I can't even find 1 - so you are lucky.

I used to do this when I was a kid but not it is gone.

Perrisha (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 22:29)

Haven't been to an outdoor movie since I was a child. The only in Jamaica got closed down

Sabrina (Thursday, 06 October 2016 01:18)

How didn't I know about all this!!!! Well, I guess I've always visited Berlin in winter, but since I'm contemplating moving there next year, this post comes really handy. Thanks for sharing! PS: I loooooove movies and especially open air cinemas! :)

Kachina (Thursday, 06 October 2016 12:15)

I totally agree with you, summer weather means being outdoors! Outdoor cinemas are the perfect solution for movies and outdoors. I like the look of the 2nd cinema with the castle ruins surrounding!

Adrianne Kierstead (Tuesday, 07 February 2017 11:38)

Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back often!