BRUGES - SMALL BUT POWERFUL

if it wasn't for the movie "in bruges" starring collin farrell, this place wouldn't be as touristic and famous as it is now. so watch the trailer or better the movie to get a very great first impression of bruges.

source wiki

since it is only an one hour trainride from brussels and also very inexpensive you can just go there for an afternoon and take a walk through the beautiful historic city center. you can either get a ticket right at the trainstation or you buy your ticket online if you prefer that.

the city center is in a few minutes walking distance from the trainstation in bruges. you basically have maps all over the city that shows you the main and the most interesting buildings. after a 2-3 hours walk you have seen it all and you could go for a canal cruise or just for a coffee and chill. they say that bruges is the venice of the north so i guess a tour on a boat would be great even though i did not go for it because it was raining. i rather sat down for a coffee and just observed the people and tried to absorb as much as possible of the place.

if you are not much of a walker then you should go for one of there horse drawn carriage tour. i just thought it was pretty expensive: 30-40€ for 30 minutes. and also it is hard to understand the driver talking about the history of the buildings because of the noise and your pictures will also turn out very wobbly.

insider tipp: try not to go there during summer. i went there in march and it was already pretty packed. so i don't want to imagine what it would be like in summer.

Amanda Williams (Monday, 12 September 2016 13:11)

Bruges looks like a really interesting and historic town. Your pictures show it off really well. I would love to visit one day so it is useful to know how busy it gets. Definitely one to visit off-season.

Sarah from Tales From a Fork (Monday, 12 September 2016 16:22)

This is the cutest town ever! It's been on my European bucket list. I'll make sure to go in the off season.

izzy (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 16:46)

I swear, Colin Firth really did put Bruges on the map! I'm thinking of more films with such a profound effect as 'In Bruges.' Why are horse carriage rides so darn expensive around the world? Your photos capture the broodiness of Northern Europe beautifully. I recently read that Ghent is as beautiful as Bruges and less scarce (of tourists too.) Did you get to visit there?

Jo (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 18:02)

Ah I def need to watch this movie coz Bruges looks fantastic. So much amazing architecture and the lovely canal cruise. How many days do you think are ideal here and what kind of budget can we look at?

Ami (Wednesday, 14 September 2016 12:13)

The one place that I was really wanting to visit is Bruges- have read so much about this quaint town and your pictures now make me realize even more as to why I need to be there.

Clare (Tuesday, 04 October 2016 13:34)

I went to Bruges a few years ago, its a beautiful town and I did the boat ride. I can't remember what month but it was cold so we did a lot of sitting in cafe's too. Great city to visit. :-)

Natalie (Tuesday, 04 October 2016 17:06)

I've heard such wonderful things about Bruges and need to visit! Love your photos and tips. Adding this to the list of places I need to take the kids. They would just love it.

Leslie @ The Real Uganda (Tuesday, 04 October 2016 17:50)

I did a weekend getaway with my husband in Bruges about 13 years ago. We loved it. Beautiful walking, great food, it was in April and quiet. So romantic. I guess the movie really put it on the map for tourists!

Manon @ The Dutch countryside (Tuesday, 04 October 2016 20:08)

Your photos are absolutely beautiful!! Bruges is definitely fully packed during summer, it can be a bit tricky to find some less touristy streets since the city is not that big. To be honest, I never knew that there was a movie that made the city famous haha, I just knew it since I'm Dutch and I live nearby (kind of haha).

Maja | Mexatia (Tuesday, 04 October 2016 20:51)

I'm embarrassed to say I never finished the movie! And I keep saying to myself I must to because everybody talks about Bruges. Your photos just confirm that. How much time did you spend there?

Soraya (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 02:49)

Bruges looks beautiful! I love how the old buildings look, but it is so well kept and clean. I can see what you mean about being the 'Venice of the north' - I think I would enjoy doing a canal cruise.

Christina (Wednesday, 05 October 2016 12:54)

Ok, I'm sold! I'm planning a European trip and Bruges looks like my kind of place. Chocolate, canals and Colin Farrell, who can say no!

Bianca (Thursday, 06 October 2016)

Bruges looks like a really a historical town. i like the pictures!! i hope i can visit there soon!!

Ethelyn Mcferren (Friday, 10 February 2017 00:55)

It's an awesome article in support of all the internet visitors; they will take advantage from it I am sure.