BRUSSELS - EUROPE'S HEART

brussels is not only the epicenter of european politics and therefore the capital of the european union, it is an amazing city that has an interesting cultural background and some famous "products" that are known worldwide.

flying into brussels is the easiest and cheapest way to get there. unfortunately the main airport "zaventem" was closed so i had to fly to the airport "charleroi", which is still ok, but you will need to catch a bus that takes almost 1 hour to the central trainstation without stopping somewhere else.

and if you didn't already knew before, the people in brussels speak french and dutch. which could be sometimes confusing because everything is in both languages and people even start talking to you in both. but i actually love that they preserve that.

my top 5 must-sees

#1 atomium

it is one of brussels best-known landmark and one of the reasons why many people come to visit. and although it is a bit of a journey to get out there, it is totally worth it. the best is to get there by metro taking the number 6 and stopping at heysel/heizel. and if you feel like taking a look inside you will have to pay an entrance fee of around 12€ but it is worth it. check out their website  for more information.

#2 mannekin pis

and well of course: mannekin pis.it is not that easy to find but normally you just have to follow the tourists and you will end up right infront of it. but don't be disappointed of its size. it is really not that big.

#3 grand place (grote markt)

in like 5 minutes walking distance of the mannekin pis you will find the grand place which is right in the heart of brussels and one of the best preserved main plaza's in europe. it is a very magical place because of the architecture. even a 360° picture doesn't show all of the beauty.

#4 parc du cinquantenaire

if you have ever been to berlin or if you know the brandenburg gate you might have a déjà-vu when you see the triumphal arch. the architecture of both monuments are so similar but still impressive. the two wings houses two great museums: "the royal art and history museum" and "the belgian army museum and museum of military history".

#5 basilique nationale du sacré coeur

this chruch belongs to the fifth larges churches in the world. i walked through the parc/alley to get there and it was so fascinating getting closer and closer to it. and if you stand right infront of it you also have a nice few.

and what would brussels be without the famous fries. i can really recommend maison antoinei took the basic ones but just check out their menu. the variety of sauces is just insane.

but brussels is also know for their waffles and of course their beer. so  definitely check out the nightlife. i am not a big fan of beer but since i really wanted to try one over their i went to delirium café and was really amazed by the huge selection of beer you have there.

danielle (Monday, 12 September 2016 21:07)

Your pictures really capture the beauty of Brussels very well! I especially love the idea of the 'give shelf' you captured. Such a lovely idea to help the community!

Soraya (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 03:24)

Wow Brussels looks so beautiful - the architecture is just spectacular. Your top 5 must sees in Brussels sounds really great and worth seeing. I'm planning a trip next year and will have to add these on the list! Plus I love Belgium fries - yum yum!

Allison (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 06:28)

The last time I was in Belgium I only passed through Brussells on way to Brugge. I'm sorry now that I didn't linger longer. It looks lovely!

Gina (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 08:04)

I didn't know the people in Brussels spoke both French and Dutch! What an incredible combo! I would definitely like to go and try the craft beer since it's so delicious! All your photography looks great!

Christina Guan (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 09:09)

Nice photos!! My favourite part of Brussels is the food (and beer of course). I was never a beer drinker before visiting, and now I adore it so I have Brussels to thank for that haha. That said, I do consider the Mannekin Pis to be one of the most disappointing tourist attractions of all time hahah. I don't get why it's so popular!

Suzannah (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 10:06)

I'm from England but still haven't managed to get to Belgium. I'm hoping to visit this coming March or in the summer. Those chips look so tasty, and I bet the beer and waffles were DIVINE! Your gallery of pictures are just stunning by the way - great photographer!

Joanna (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 14:13)

I have been to Brussels a couple of times and enjoyed it every time. I loved the beers and the chocolate and also the walking tour I've taken. I got to know a lot about the history of Belgium too. it's really a nice city

Star Lengas (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 14:47)

I love the complexity of Belgium, especially its politics! I was in Brussels for a fleeting moment so I didn't get a chance to truly explore. But I definitely recommend the truffles & chocolate, and I'll take your recommendation to visit grote markt!

Maja | Mexatia (Tuesday, 13 September 2016 18:27)

The photos are superb! I must say I never pictured it as such an interesting city, but I'm glad you changed that perspective. Give shelves should exist in every city!