HONGKONG - THE NEW YORK CITY OF ASIA

the easiest way to describe that city is to compare it with an asian version of new york city - but somehow i just couldn't connect with hong kong.

i am very torn whenever people ask me about my experience there - i guess i just expected something else. but please don't get me wrong, it is still an amazing and very inspiring city and it is totally worth to check out.

let's talk about the best thing in that city - the ding ding. how awesome and adorable are those tramways? you can actually just find them on the hong kong island and they take you everywhere for almost nothing.

i also had an amazing couchsurfing experience there. i stayed for a few nights with Eric and his lovely girlfriend Viva and their cat. he is a travel photographer who had his own gallery-opening while i was there which was so amazing. feel free to check out his instagram .

i guess the best way to discover the city is just to walk around as much as you can - even though it is very exhausting. i remember it being like 40°C / 104°F and like 95% humidity. try to walk as close to buildings as possible, because they often have their door open and you can feel this tiny breeze of cold air from the aircondition.

of course there are a few things you must do & see - depending on how much time you have though.

victoria peak
victoria peak

the first thing everyone has to do is the "victoria peak". it is the highest mountain on hong kong island so you will have a great view over the whole city and the harbour, if the weather allows it. the best time to get there is maybe like 30 minutes before sunset. so you will get the whole experience. you will get there by the peak tram. the tickets for the tram and the sky terrace are around HK$ 80 / 9€.

tai-o / lantau island
tai-o / lantau island
tai-o / lantau island
tai-o / lantau island
tian tan buddha temple / lantau island
tian tan buddha temple / lantau island
ngong ping 360 / lantau island
ngong ping 360 / lantau island

lantau island is the largest island and offers a lot, so it is worth to spend a whole day there. i went by ferry and then took the bus to get to tai-o, a really old and gorgeous fishing town. after that i went to see the "tian tan buddha" and the temple right next to it.

on my way down back to the mainland i went by the "ngong ping 360" cable car. a single trip costs HK$ 130 / 15€ which i thought was kind of expensive, but i don't regret doing it at the end.

after the sunset the young hongkongese and travelers from all over the world will most likely go to "lan kwai fong" - the is a really small square of streets. and it is literally very small. but it is a great spot if you want to get a beer or want to meet other travelers.

and if you still have enough time you can go and check out "central pier 9", the "temple street market" and the "tsim sha tsui promenade".

feel free to also check out discoverhongkong - it is a great website with basically every detail about what to do and what to see in hong kong.

Bryony Clapperton (travelsandmore) (Monday, 19 September 2016 15:20)

The joy of blogging is that you don't need to have the same thoughts or views as other people. I like that you've been honest here. There should be more honesty in blogging. Sometimes I feel like people write what other people want to read and that isn't always what happens. Sometimes you don't connect with a destination and that isn't a bad thing :)

Thanks for sharing.

blondemoments (Monday, 19 September 2016 16:38)

that is one of the sweetest comments i have ever gotten. thank you so much!

Megan Indoe (Wednesday, 21 September 2016 16:19)

Hong Kong is another Asia destination we haven't made it to yet but really want to go! We have heard so many good things about it, other than it's expensive. Perhaps we should try couchsurfing like you! When we do go I really want to go on one of those boats with the red sails!

Christina (Wednesday, 21 September 2016 16:23)

Hong Kong is such a photogenic city I enjoyed looking at your photos, especially the ones of the buildings and back streets. Interesting that you went couch surfing. Would you recommend couch surfing in Hong Kong?

Cori (Wednesday, 21 September 2016 17:13)

Those trams are adorable!

I'm glad you had such a great CS experience. CouchSurfing took over my life 8 years ago and shows no signs of stopping.

I love your photos! Now I really want to go.

Chantell - Adoration 4 Adventure (Wednesday, 21 September 2016 23:38)

I've never been to Hong Kong but I have heard to many great things, so I was surprised to read that you didn't connect with it. Although, we all had different experiences in cities. The "ding dongs" do look adorable though - this is the first time that I have heard of it. A lot of the other recommendations you made, including Lantau Island, I have also heard are fun to do :).

Samantha | There She Goes Again (Thursday, 22 September 2016 08:02)

You know I always hear amazing things about Hong Kong but when I think about some of the things to expect, I have a feeling it won't exactly be my favorite trip ever. That humidity and temperature combination sounds like my worst nightmare, and I hate cities that are tightly packed together (Seoul in the summer is the WORST). However, the flip side is that if get a little cooler weather, it means torrential downpours like both my friends experienced on their HK trips.

Hmm hmm. I definitely will still go, but I don't blame you for not being blown away by it (however your photos are stunning regardless!). I'd be that sweaty person going into every store for the air con!

jen morrow (Thursday, 22 September 2016 15:30)

I think Hong Kong is the kind of city that you have to see in luxury to enjoy. It looks like a difficult spot to enjoy as a budget traveler. Saving my pennies now for the ultimate luxury trip!

Jm (Thursday, 22 September 2016 16:14)

To be honest i think Hong Kong is a better version of New York. There are not much things to do there except watching the Broadway shows which i liked the most.

Izzy (Thursday, 22 September 2016 17:14)

You are the 3rd person this week who has told me Hong Kong is basically the NYC of Asia! I have been but only as a child. I think after this post and seeing your lovely pics, it warrants a return! Def loved scrolling and having that vertical photo of the high rises appear on the screen! What an experience!

Paige Wunder (Thursday, 22 September 2016 21:01)

I have read a lot of posts about Hong Kong lately, but this has to be the most interesting and unique post. I love that you show all the different sides of Hong Kong - even the "not so glamorous" sides. I would definitely love to make a stop at the Buddhist Temple, the markets and more run-down buildings. I think that they're more interesting.

Allison (Thursday, 06 October 2016 01:54)

I have only been to Hong Kong once a billion years ago and I'm sure much has changed. I look at it quite a bit but always decide on somewhere else. I may need to start looking for a cheap flight.

Micha Leisinger (Saturday, 04 February 2017 09:31)

I've been surfing on-line more than three hours as of late, yet I by no means found any fascinating article like yours. It's beautiful price enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you did, the internet shall be a lot more useful than ever before.